Monday, December 26, 2005

Portraits on tiatrists

Alex A A Fernandes of Portrait Atelier -- portrait_atelier at yahoo.co.in -- has done some really great portrait photos of tiatrists of the Konkani stage. These people do deserve some recognition... as Goan society has largely looked down on their work, almost snobbishly! Explains Alex: "I have (in mid-Nov) completed my series on contemporary Tiatriste. The whole process took about three weeks and was shot in my studio in Goa and Mumbai.... I initially planned to display these pictures (of 34 various artist who so graciously came forward to be photographed) at the IFFI. I had approached the authorities in charge of the festival to give these artists exclusive coverage in terms of gallery space at the INOX or the Kala Academy. I had decided to foot the whole bill for shooting the pictures plus framing them and printing an introductory brochure which gave a brief history for each artist.... It soon became apparent that the people responsible for the organisation of the events at the IFFI didn't want to see me or listen to what I had to say."